Tuesday 1 May 2012

Attempting couture seams in my wedding dress!

I pinned, re-straighetened and sewed the centre back seam, stopping at a point where the corset back will end. I checked and re-checked the tension on my machine with scraps from the interlining and main fabric layered together.

As you can see when I made sure the back seam was perfectly straight it revealed that my thread tracing wasn't exactly perfect! As these are the skirt seams I'd rather them be straight than follow the pattern pieces which might have stetched.

In the couture sewing and wedding dress sewing books/info I've been reading I've seen that couture seams are around one inch so I drew a line with my disappearing ink pen.

And then cut along this line ready for hemming!

Heres the seam all hemmed, its been hemmed to the interlining fabric only, so doesn't show on the right side. At the top, where the split is still open for the corset back I've whip stitched the seam edges to stop them fraying.

Close up:

No comments:

Post a Comment